lunes, febrero 06, 2006

Knowing Me, Knowing You ...


It's been a while since I've hung out with my friends. I have so few in the NYC. We usually hang with Daniel’s friends. Boris Kerzner and I met through mutual friends the second week that I was in the City. I needed a place to crash for Shabbat, and he more than willingly obliged. He's one of the (very) few non-sleazy straight guys that I know. He's a young, Brandeis-educated mensch with a nice job in Midtown and an even nicer apartment in the East Village. (Feel fee to write to me for more details.)

Boris and I discussed our respective relationships over Moroccan food at Cafe Nana, the new restaurant inside the Columbia/Barnard Hillel. It’s only three blocks from the Bayit. It was a nice change from the hours I spend in either my or Daniel's bed. My desire to sleep away the NYC blues is still lingering. There’s just so much about which to worry, from which to escape. When I am able, I venture out onto the Manhattan streets.

Boris informed me of the very casual relationship that he’s having with … oh, let’s call her “Natasha.” She was with us over New Year’s. It’s not the most ideal of relationships. Naturally, I felt the need to interrupt with my opinion of how he’s handling things with her. It was then that I realized something important. Boris’ relationship with Natasha is a personal thing. Who the hell am I? I trust Boris. I care about his happiness. I figure that, since he's got a Master of Science in computer science, he just might know what he's doing.

I may disapprove of some the ways that they’re conducting business. That don’t mean that I gotsta shop at they store. He’s happy; he’s not committing fraud. They’re being honest with each other. What do I know about how he feels for her, about what she feels for him?

The moral: It really takes thinking that we know something to really show us just how much we don’t know. I’d love to pontificate in this case. To be sure, I have much to say. It’s difficult to admit that we don’t have all the answers. Heaven knows that I’m not even the expert on my own life

No hay comentarios: