It happened again. I woke up with the nastiness stomach. Reality had set in; after almost two years, it’s happening, and I only learned about it upon rising this morning.
This was special sort of nausea, one I hadn’t felt since the summer of 2005, just before I left home for the City. Justice O’Connor announced her intention to resign. Who could blame her? She had a sick husband whose health was paramount. It was doubtless a struggle. She had become known as the superhero “swing vote,” the guardian of moderate interpretation of US law.
Our worst fears came true yesterday when the US Supreme Court upheld a federal law banning late-term abortion dubbed by it often-religious adversaries as “partial-birth” abortion. The most tragic part of the ruling is that, for the first time in the Court’s relationship with reproductive rights, no exception was made for doctors to act on behalf of a woman whose life is endangered.
The corrupted core of Court politics has never been more brazen. The bastard “Religious Right” is baptizing judicial benches to the point that the rights of women and their doctors will be usurped by the latest issue of Evangelical Tonight.
Catholics should be scared for their sisters. The young should be sad for their mothers. Ethnic minorities should be fed up for their daughters. Jews should be sick for their doctors. All Americans should be outraged for their fellow citizens.
While much is going on in my life, I can’t help but sit and consider the plight that countless Americans will endure as reproductive rights are legally eroded beginning with this dangerous ruling. It’s pure chutzpah that these sick people are more concerned for the unborn than for the lives of those already living among us. The privacy of American families and the work of doctors are in jeopardy.
That sickness this morning should not have been hurled upon me. Luckily, my morning nausea passed after I shut off the news. But, shouldn’t all American women, in consultation with their consciences, their families and their doctors, be trusted with their own bodies, armed to rid themselves of the nausea and peril that only religious radicals and dangerous pregnancies can bring?
1 comentario:
Amen and praise, sister friend
Publicar un comentario