miércoles, junio 28, 2006

One Hundred and Shouting

Of all people that I know, I feel that I should be most capable of dealing with disgruntled men. Anyone in my position would have as much experience with such men. The proof?
I live in Manhattan.
I possess ten solid years of ex-boyfriends.
Growing up, my parents always had Fox News on the television.
I’m currently in a relationship.

None of this matters. They still make me crazy. What good is ranting about disgruntled men, if they’re too busy foaming at the mouth to hear me? There are men who just don’t get it. And, my friends and I still get too much of it. At the end of the kveching, we’re left wondering. Why continue to date men? Why complain? Believe me; if there were a cure, I’d get rich selling it.

One guy recently attempted to equate my boyfriend-bashing with misogyny! I was so appalled! My complaining comes from a completely different place than the one that men have used to relegate women to a secondary status for millennia. Misogyny criticizes the capability and worth of women. I do neither with regard to men. Whatever it is I feel, my frustrations (and occasional rage) are hardly as bigoted.

These ravings about men yield from my mouth and fingers because I am so often disappointed. I expect much more than they readily give. Most of us deserve more than the battle that some men demand. I do not believe men inferior or unable. To the contrary, with the right motivation, they can be sources of joy and satisfaction. At times, the men I complain about are just unwilling; that is, until someone insists otherwise.

I’d say that we’re not sick of relationships, per se. We’re sick of these liaisons as we have come to know them. Now, we are calling for change. We’re not giving up. We’re shouting out the problems as we see them. Some call it “rowdy;” others see it as “crass.” That may be so. I assure you, however, that it is not anything like misogyny.

I’d say that we’re not sick of relationships, per se. We’re sick of these liaisons as we have come to know them. Now, we are calling for change. We’re not giving up. We’re shouting out the problems as we see them. Some call it “rowdy;” others see it as “crass.” That may be so. I assure you, however, that it is not misogyny.

On this 100th post of mine, I look back at the last several posts, and I am proud. I read the words of friends whose thoughts I have posted. I reread my personal reflections. The mistakes. The obsessing. The shortcomings. The quick comings. In reading, I recall how fun it was, at times, to err. Through and through, a recurring theme resounds clearly: We're fed up. So, I implore that no one shut up until she has a reason to do so.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

yay! happy 100!