miércoles, junio 07, 2006

Time After Time

Holidays always seem to mess up one’s inner clock. It’s hard to know the day or even the month in the midst of celebrating. Wednesdays feel like Saturdays. Despite how long May had felt, I’m shocked that it’s already June. With Shavuot this past weekend, time seems to have cheated us. Ben stopped in to the New York en route to Israel. His visit only added to my disorientation, although it was great to hang with him again. Poor guy! Each night, he was out in all-queer company with Isaac, Daniel, and me. Another night, he came out with us and Rich (a friend of Daniel’s).

Daniel loves my friends. We, however, have issues with his friends. They’ve been consistently less cordial than mine. They hardly call. They’re not usually around. So, when they do come around, it’s a big fucking deal. I certainly encourage Daniel in making and maintaining friends. Sadly, few pass as normal or nice. Social awkwardness seems to be the personality trait du jour. We both agree that this is what happens when one socializes soley on-line or in lab.

It’s reasonable to say that many of Daniel’s friends aren’t crazy about me. Given the chance, they’ve been less than amiable. I’m well aware that I don’t fit into their lab-centered world of science. I don’t have a screen name. I can’t differentiate between Harry Potter and the Lord of the Jewelry series. I detest reality T.V. If I could speak Klingon, then maybe I’d be accepted.

On Sunday night, however, D’s friend sought to revisit the issues that we had only recently resolved. He reargued Daniel’s side in a déjà-lose of a discussion. It was so awkward. Just in case we weren’t upset enough the first time, homeboy tried to rehash all the reasons why I should be instructed further in conducting a relationship. I was ready to pull my hair out and sprinkle it passive-agressively on the two boys who've never had a relationship longer than a month.

It’s hard enough to duel it out with Daniel. I love him; that’s why I do it. His friends are something else. It’s not his fault that they lack tact, but since the first encounters, I have been oh so unimpressed. We could spend hours with my friends. They all love him; they respect him. We have fun. Why, then, does every second with Daniel’s friends feel like an eternity? Meeting his parents was a piece of cake compared to these friend things!

It was Madonna who said, "We need a holiday!" Rock on, my sista'!

No hay comentarios: