lunes, julio 24, 2006

Loving My Religion

Followers of Islam who return home from the pilgrimage to Mecca are given the honorific title “haji.” In the East, the title “Buddha” is used for anyone who has attained enlightenment. Why isn't there a word to describe one who has encountered Madonna in the flesh? Whoever he is, he cannot avoid the indelible mark that she leaves upon the masses.

On Wednesday, Daniel took me to Madonna’s last concert in New York City, which she gave at Madison Square Garden. It was my first time being so physically close to the woman whom I’ve venerated ever since I became intellectually capable of doing so. Her performance was amazing! As an accomplished dancer, Madonna delivered an energetic and awe-inspiring show. While the tour is named for her latest album, Confessions on a Dance Floor, she included songs from previous albums such as "Like a Virgin," "True Blue," "Erotica," "Ray of Light," and "Music."

Many times throughout the show, I was almost moved to tears. I just couldn’t cry, however, as it might have blurred my view of Madonna’s enchanting performance. Her dancers were impressive, working as hard as their mistress. They mastered on-stage climbing, jumping, break dancing, and impossible maneuvering on roller skates. Each staff member, from the back up singers to the dancers to the lighting crew, seemed to be infused with the same spirit that animates Madonna herself.

Religious imagery abounded. She used the powerful symbols from the world’s faiths to tell of the roots of today’s senseless violence. The faces of starving children in poverty-stricken countries were front and center. Their images were consumed in the real flames of our indifference and rationalizing. Current political leaders were juxtaposed among their hateful predecessors: President Bush next to Saddam Hussein next to Adolf Hitler. The lusciously liberal bias was clear, and I loved every second of it.

The imagery offered more than just criticism for the world’s woes. In my opinion, Madonna offered a hopeful solution. She proposed a reconsideration of religion at its core as she had the following verses from the Christian parable in the Gospel of St. Matthew emblazed across the stage and screens:

[The King will say,] “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me. I was sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?” The King will reply, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me” (25: 35—40, NIV).

Madonna used her popularity to express a sentiment that should be shouted daily. She responsibly reminded her audience that religion is nothing without a world in which to worship and safe children to believe in that world and in the beyond. Our differences are many, but the foundation of all religion rests upon the pervasiveness of the unconquerable spirit of love that invades every human heart. Preserving each other, both Jew and Gentile, is our only hope.

Our Lady encouraged dancing, jumping, hand raising, and singing. Those who know me won’t be surprised that I made this into a full-body experience. I was clad in a 2001 gift from Dominique and her boyfriend, Jack: a custom made black T-shirt with the retro print names of Madonna’s children in silver; Rocco on the front, and Lola on the back. They got the idea from an identical tank top that Madonna was wearing in a magazine five years ago! It fit a bit small, but, then again, that’s all part of the fun.

We sat directly below the press box on stage right. A little more than half way through the show, a man behind us, presumably a member of the press, got my attention and enthusiastically shook my hand saying, “You’re the best, man!” I got the impression that he was straight, an easily indentifiable type in a sea of homos. Nonetheless, I was touched by his appreciation for my passion.

The time I spent amidst Madonna's sacred space was the more serene and inspiring of any religious service that I have attended in months, if not years. With the unexpected sounding of the shofar, I felt as I do every Rosh haShanah. The concert, while entertaining, also heightened my senses, reawakening my belief in the Divine. We were all reminded that with the luxury of seeing an icon comes the responsibility to live out her message of freedom, awareness, vivacity, inclusiveness, and activism. Now, how often does that happen in synagogue?

1 comentario:

he who is known as sefton dijo...

. . . Wood'ja (?) buih-leave! . . .

I almost feel sorry for the fools, bent on destroying Israel. If only they knew what they're going up against. In the post titled ". . . more 'italian' than you realize . . .", I expound on the chief reason for that emotional "near miss".

Anyway, the text for the hyperlink to that post is just below . . .
http://hewhoisknownassefton.blogspot.com/2006/07/more-italian-than-you-realize.html

If this comment intrigues you, consider bringing up that page.

toodles