miércoles, diciembre 21, 2005

Strike & the City

Sooo much is going on!!! I have to write so many final papers as I conclude this semester. I started my new job as a hospital tutor for children at New York-Presbyterian here in Washington Heights. And, the biggest news is the strike that MTA workers declared in the early hours of yesterday morning. There are no subways and no buses. We just chillin', literally.

A strike means that we in Manhattan are stranded in our neighbors. Our only recourse is walking in the below-freezing weather. While I support the strike, I cannot deny that it is, at best, inconvenient, true to NYC form. I'm staying chez Daniel, who auspisciously lives only blocks from the hospital. It's fantastic ... as I get to work.

I am sad. I miss my family. Chanukah begins this Sunday evening. This will be the first time that I am not at home for the winter holidays. I won't even be home for the new year. I miss my sister. It's hard to be here with no one except for Daniel. If you think about it, it's just too much.

On a happy note ... Daniel presented me with his Chanukah gift early. Get ready: I received the entire series, all six seasons, of Sex and the City. I was elated. We have been hooked on the television. We'd watch more if I didn't have so many damn papers to write. So, during the strike in the City, what better could I do except sit through my own Sex & the City marathon?

No hay comentarios: