domingo, abril 30, 2006

Isle Dating

Only after a few hours back in the City, it felt like I was already preparing for another holiday of my own. Daniel and I connected intimately as we hadn’t since we met. Clearly, it took distance to get close. I’m not surprised. And, just like all holidays, it didn’t take long before we were both jet-lagged, cranky, and thinking just how overrated Paradise really is.

Shabbat was awkward and only slightly restful. The only thing more awkward was the post-Shabbos event: Deborah’s party. The people were plentiful, and, God bless her, there was more alcohol than any one of us could have consumed. The grand surprise? I remained sober. I know; I too am disappointed. I drank, drank, and drank, and nothing. It’s a sad mystery that became my reality.

Like all parties of the twenty-something variety, there was so much drama. It’s safe to say that the only ones for whom the party was lucky left early. I wasn’t as clever. My forever-fabulous friend Isaac is still lunching with the illustrious sex that he found at the after-party he made in Chelsea.

I was sans date before midnight. (It shouldn’t surprise anyone that my dates, like most children, usually have bedtimes.) Alone, I was presented with the perfect opportunity to cheat ... and I took advantage of it. After an evening of fighting with Daniel about whom I choose to prioritize (him or my friends), I did what I was accused of doing. I cheated, and I smoked a cigarette. I didn’t do it under pressure. I didn’t do it socially. I asked a friend for one, and I went outside. I couldn’t have protested in a better way.

Twelve drinks later, I headed home. I, however, didn’t go alone. Why should I have? Few did that night. We all need to feel young again; that’s exactly what happened. Last night, just like in college, I was accompanied by a very drunk business major. He needed a place to crash, and, not coincidently, my sexy alter ego Isaac had abandoned his empty bed chez moi in favor of his after-party favor.

What can I say? Not all Saturday nights can always go this well. Minus the drama, it was quite a night. It is a difficult to recapture feeling of youth and the air of carefree decision-making. There are times in a relationship when you find yourself without a date. Other times, you hear, “Will I see you again?” when you least expect it. And, like island weather, it all seems to come and go out of what seems like nowhere and everywhere at once.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por un administrador del blog.